For the first 4 decades of my life, I never really thought much about guns. They were a tool used by hunters, police officers, and military personnel.
Personally, I viewed guns as a potentially expensive hobby not worthy of distracting me from my other hobbies.
That was then. Political and social events of 2012 have turned my attention now toward guns.
My nascent and emerging philosophy on gun control emanates from two fundamental characteristics of who I am. 1) I am a CHRISTian! 2) I am a product of the Cold War.
As it stands today (as it continues to evolve) my philosophy on gun control is made up of 10 short bullet points:
1) There are a few things big enough for which I will take up arms and fight. My family. My life. My country as I have known it for 4 decades. Liberty.
2) There is a BIGGER thing for which I will NOT bear arms and instead I will lay down my life. My faith in Jesus Christ. Didn’t Jesus tell Peter to put down his sword?
3) The distinction between time-to-fight-for-Christ and time-to-die-for-Christ is one I hope I never have to make, but for which I prepare daily.
4) I believe that assault rifles should be banned, but ONLY AFTER I’VE BOUGHT MINE FIRST!
5) Assault rifles are like nuclear arms. I hope I never have to use it, but as long as the bad guys have one, I want one too!
Dr. Phil Bryant